JasonKoivu

JasonKoivu

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen

Treason's Harbour

Treason's Harbour - Patrick O'Brian, Simon Vance This is my third time reading Treason's Harbor and yet...

While O'Brian is one of my favorite authors, this is not one of my favorite books of his. It's unbalanced, lacking the physical action of the other books in the Aubrey/Maturin series. More time is devoted to matters of intelligence and spying, and even that lacks some of its usual excitement.

However, it has its redeeming qualities. There is, as always, beauty in the language. Reading any books of the series just for the descriptions alone is worth the effort. It's like listening to David Attenborough narrate a gorgeous episode of Planet Earth, taking you to new lands and wowing you with the sights and sounds. The characters, whom you've probably come to know and love if you've reached this ninth book, are full of life and fully invested in their own lives, the very minutia of which is the book's bread and butter.

This seafaring series set in the Napoleonic Wars is epic in just about every way, and so it can hardly be faulted for the occasional lag in full-throttle action. Instead, just sit back, relax and let the words flow over you.

Rating: 3.5 stars