JasonKoivu

JasonKoivu

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré This fourth book in the series took the story forward and yet in tone it felt like a regression to the first two books. Certainly it is darker and slightly more mature in subject matter. However, there's a lingering "freshman" feel which I blame on the inclusion of the Tri Wizard Tournament. It seemed out of place at this point in the story. I have no problem with the idea that the wizarding establishment didn't believe (or want to believe) that Voldemort was back and ergo they would naturally carry on with their lives, as would the students, so the big sporting event is not precisely my issue. It's the amount of time spent on the event I'm taking to task. As readers, we know the ultimate evil has come again, so it's hard to suspend our dread and enjoy the fun and games of the tournament, or at least it was hard for me. Other's I've spoke to don't seem to mind, but to me it seemed like Rowling hadn't given the storyline maturation its due. Was this a lack of skill on her part, for mishandling of story pacing is just as important as plot, realistic characters, and knowing how to put one word after another correctly.

Rating: 3.5