JasonKoivu

JasonKoivu

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the number two of the entire Potter series in more ways than one. It's the turd of the lot.

It's not terrible, but compared to the rest of the series Chamber has all the originality of a carbon copy of its predecessor, written to mirror and capitalize on the success of the first book.

Yes Harry and schoolmates have moved on to their second year and there are occurrences that will later come into play in the bigger picture of the story, but in hindsight these seem like mere happenstance that had to be cajoled into the plot once Rowling realized she had a hit on her hands that demanded sequels and a big finish. Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe this was all part of her grand scheme from word-one. It just doesn't feel like it though.

And the movie! Don't get me started on the movie...It's the only one we don't own. My wife refuses to buy it and has forbade me to gift it to her. I blame Kenneth Branagh.