JasonKoivu

JasonKoivu

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen

Pirates Of Barbary: Corsairs, Conquests and Captivity in the 17th-Century Mediterranean - Adrian Tinniswood RRRRRRRRrrrrandstuff...

Okay, so this may not be as wild and fantastical as The Pirates of the Caribbean, but Adrian Tinniswood did a great job bringing this version of swashbuckling history to life.

There are some salacious tales of daring, but Pirates of Barbary goes beyond the expected stereotypes and gives the real story, much of it unpleasant. But it's also more complex than it seems. These pirates were doing more than just plundering the Mediterranean from their North African ports. They were protecting a way of life from intruders, mainly European Christians. And oh boy do those Christians get what's coming to them! Call me a ghastly ghoul, but that was the part that most interested me. Many of the captives from these pirate raids were either ransomed, sold into slavery or tortured to death, and the torture techniques implemented were...unique.

Now, if you're going to read this you have to realize that there were few eyewitness accounts of the ship to ship battles, the sword fights upon the decks and all those other very exciting action bits that you'd get in a novel. But even so, as I said, Tinniswood manages to keep it entertaining, and if the book's title piques your interest then I doubt you'll be let down by jogging your eyes through these pages.