JasonKoivu

JasonKoivu

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen

Empire of Blue Water: Captain Morgan's Great Pirate Army, the Epic Battle for the Americas, and the Catastrophe That Ended the Outlaws' Bloody Reign - Stephan Talty Right off the top you should be asking, "5 Stars for a book about pirates, Koivu?" Yeah well I have a thing for stories about randy seaman going after sweet sweet booty, what can I say?

Talty's pen puts a nice flourish on history that's appreciated, but hardly necessary considering his colorful source material. Patriotic Welshman Captain Morgan may not have seen himself as a pirate, after all he was only doing his duty for England, but if you were the Spanish in the Caribbean Islands at the time he was tearing the place up, in your eyes Morgan was the lowest of the low. You also knew he was to be feared for his sudden and violent attacks as well as his intelligence and uncanny ability to get himself and his vicious-though-loyal men out of numerous seemingly inescapable scrapes. Talty relates story after story, each with an exciting flair we've come to know so well from actors like Flynn to Depp portraying Hollywood versions of what in this book is quite real.

If you're not into bloody-minded treasure hunting pirates making daring raids and escapes during ye olden day of the age of sail, well perhaps this is not for you....And now I'll have to ask you to leave.